50th ANNIVERSARY VOLUNTEER WEEK
In honor of UCI’s 50th anniversary, UCI hosted “Fifty for 50 Volunteer Week,” which was comprised of service events throughout the first week of fall classes, September 28 through October 2. The goal for this week was to reconnect the campus with 50 for 50, introduce it to new students, and illustrate that it doesn’t take much time to make a difference. Read more…
- The 50th Anniversary Volunteer Week Kick-off event was held on Monday, September 28 at the Student Center Terrace. At this event, over 200 students pledged to complete at least 50 hours of community service by June of 2016. If these commitments are upheld, this will culminate in a total of 10,000 hours of community service.
- In recognition of September being National Hunger Awareness Month, UCI hosted two events on Tuesday, September 29: Take 15 and Harvest for Hunger. At Take 15, which was held during lunchtime in the Cross Cultural Center Ring Room, over 150 students, staff and faculty joined the student group, Anteaters are Better Together, and made over 1,500 PB&J sandwiches, doubling the prior record of 750 sandwiches last Thanksgiving. The students from Anteaters are Better Together then delivered the sandwiches to Someone Cares Soup Kitchen in Costa Mesa and to the Lighthouse Church next door.
- That same day, at Harvest for Hunger, a group of Anteaters harvested cucumbers and squash at the Second Harvest Food Bank’s Incredible Edible farm. The Incredible Edible Farm is a unique public/private partnership between the City of Irvine, the OC Great Park, Orange County Produce and Second Harvest Food Bank to solve our county’s considerable hunger problem by providing recipients with highly-nutritious, top-quality produce grown on a local farm. The group picked 1225 pounds of vegetables, which provided healthy meals to over 1000 OC residents.
- On Wednesday, September 30, 2015, UCI launched its Operation Gratitude effort. Students from UCI Veteran Services on the Ring Mall and write a note to thank active duty military veterans and their families for their service. After a series of pledges from student organizations to compile 50 notes for the effort, the note card order went up from 250 to 1,500. This effort will continue through Veteran’s Day 2015, at which time the cards will be delivered to Operation Gratitude headquarters in Van Nuys, CA. The letters will ultimately be included in care packages sent to soldiers stationed overseas, and, according to the Operation Gratitude, are the recipients’ favorite parts of the package.
- Thursday, October 1st was our day for collective impact as UCI and United Way hosted the OC Working Together Summit, which brought together nearly 200 faculty, graduate students, nonprofit leaders and community partners to develop strategies on how to improve the quality of life of Orange County residents. The summit, which focused on K-12 education, family violence, financial stability, health and housing, will culminate in an action plan for further collaboration. Read more…
- And finally, because we are the #1 Cool School according to Sierra magazine, we were sure to think environmentally and act locally through a project titled Planting the seeds for a better OC. Our anteaters dug in elbow deep in dirt and fertilizer to plant over 100 native plants and seedlings in an effort to preserve the native landscape in our environment. Participants were so inspired to continue the effort that they will be using sustainable transportation to return for two additional events in November. Learning outcomes from the event included the following:
Already, through the work of Staff Assembly, the Greek Community, campus service clubs, student government and numerous volunteers both at the campus core and at the Medical Center, the campus has dedicated over 37,000 hours of service to the community. We expect to burst past our goal very shortly and we are working on how to reach our extravagant stretch goal.
We are currently working on additional 50th Anniversary special features including an entry in this year’s Newport Beach Holiday Boat Parade. Stay tuned!
2015 IRVINE GLOBAL VILLAGE
On September 26th, 2015, representatives from the UCI Alumni Association, UCI CEO Roundtable, the UCI Claire Trevor School of Arts, UCI Athletics, Solar Decathlon, UCI Community & Government Relations, UCI Admissions, UCI Campus Reps, Associated Students, UCI Irvine, and more came out to celebrate the rich diversity of Irvine at the Irvine Global Village. We transported Anteaters to and from the event via sustainable transportation, distributed over two hundred 50th anniversary themed bags full of information about UCI to local residents, and answered dozens of questions about the myriad of ways to engage with the campus. Read more…
PAUL MERAGE SCHOOL OF BUSINESS GROUNDBREAKING
IRVINE CHAMBER AND UC IRVINE PAUL MERAGE BUSINESS OUTLOOK BREAKFAST